Subscribe For Free Updates!

We'll not spam mate! We promise.

Monday, September 15, 2014

BJJ Belts

There are many philosophies on belts. Should they be: long or short? thin or thick? wide or narrow? stiff or floppy? and so on. And while most if not all of the BJJ kimono manufacturers (over 200 of them at last count, both big and small), carry their own line of belts, they are obviously not difficult to find.


The purpose of this post is intended more for the belt connoisseur who is seeking something different than the average belt. And while I have not owned most of these belts as of yet, I plan on getting my hands on one from each of these manufacturers and then I can provide a little more insight into each. 

I came across these belts while researching which belt I wanted for my blue belt, since I knew that was going to be a 5+ year adventure and wanted to have a high quality belt. So here are the belts that I came across in that search.

NOTE, if there are high quality and/or different/unique belts that you feel should be included in this list, please contact me and let me know the details. Thanks. 

PeelGi


Peel Gi offers a very different design of belt. You can tell by the photographs that it is not the average BJJ belt. I have not yet had one, but have been told they are thinner than the average BJJ belt, and more like a taekawondo belt. 







Prana

As I could see just by the photographs this is a beautiful belt. And very classy looking. 








Kataaro

Kataaro makes the belts for Modern Flow, see below, and on the Kataaro website you can design your own belt from scratch (see below) including: size (length), width, firmness, color, rank, etc.










Modern Flow


Made by Kataaro for Modern Flow, these are, by all accounts, high quality belts. 








Killer Bee

Now Killer Bee does have a line of standard belts, and for full disclosure Killer Bee makes the belts for my BJJ Academy (as well as our Kimonos). But I do have one of their more special belts - that being the Ligustica. This is a thick, woven belt  made from the same material as their Ligustica MK II kimonos. These belts are heavy duty yet very pliable. And while they claim that, "Once tied they are less likely to come untied because of the texture of the belt," I didn't find that to be the case whatsoever. My blue Killer Bee Ligustica belt doesn't stay tied any better than my white Atama belt did. Unless I tie it in a superknot, then it never has come untied. 

Nevertheless, I like this belt and would not only recommend it, I would order it again. 






Eosin Panther


Undoubtedly the most expensive belt that I've run across, like with Kataaro you can build your belt from scratch. And you can easily spend over $100 doing so. 





Socializer Widget By Blogger Yard
SOCIALIZE IT →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *