Subscribe For Free Updates!

We'll not spam mate! We promise.

Monday, August 31, 2015

BJJ Globetrotters - Interview

BSP Date: August 31, 2015

What is the name of your brand(s)?

BJJ Globetrotters

When & where was it founded, and where is it currently headquartered?

Founded late 2012 and HQ is primarily where ever my brain and laptop are located, but in terms of physical location, we are storing some stuff in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Who are the founders/current owners?

Christian Graugart

Is there any significance behind the name of the brand or its logo?

Hm not really. I just wanted something that wasn't all bulldogs and skulls. And I love the old VW vans, so I thought that was a fun little different thing to do.

What was the driving force (or forces) behind the founding of the brand?

It was completely by chance, I never planned to build a brand or a business. It just started with a fun logo, some patches and then slowly evolved from there on it's own. I feel like I'm pretty much just sitting on the sideline observing it grow and nursing it a little bit, feeding it good karma.

What are your strengths / the strengths of your brand?

Not sure, really :)

What was your first product produced (prototype or otherwise)?

I guess the first was our patches. I originally just made them for me and my friends who were going to the Europeans but suddenly people from all over asked me if they could get one. So it's not like I planned to start a brand and designed some product to launch it.

In that first year or so, what were your first struggles in getting the brand off the ground?

I never worry/worried about trying to build it up or sell stuff, so there has been no struggle. Every product I've designed, I've done because I wanted one for myself. That other people also turned out to like it and wanted to pay for it was just a bonus. I still don't really focus on making money or building a business, but more on doing interesting stuff for myself and inviting other people along. For instance, I love to travel, so I come up with ideas of the most interesting trips I could possibly imagine doing and then see if someone else wanna go along for a training camp. So far it's been working pretty well.

What would you consider to be your signature or keystone item(s) to date?

I guess it would be the travel gi. My first gi project was the full rashguard lining Sunset gi, which I produced because I thought it looked amazing. They were heavy and expensive to produce and ship though and with the whole travel theme of BJJ Globetrotters, it just made sense to do super light weight gis. Kauai Kimonos and other brands made them way before I did so I wouldn't really say it's a "signature" product in that sense. I still love and train with my Kauai Kimonos gi - they're the best hand made rip stop gis out there.


What items do you also sell that people may not be aware of?

I just produced flip flops and microfiber travel towels because I always throw away my own. Not sure many people know about those products, but at least I'll have a life time supply of them for myself then.

Do you have anything exciting coming up in the next few months or so that you can share with us?

We're releasing a brown edition of the travel gi. I have a prototype that I think is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to train in it at our Summer Camp in Belgium next week.

Geographically speaking, where is your primary customer base?

I sell to pretty much all areas of the world. Mostly North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. I guess that's where Jiu Jitsu is most wide spread.

A common question/concern among our members is the issue of shipping. We have found that some brands will not ship worldwide or have carved out certain countries from their territory. So if you would, please explain your shipping policy, pricing and any geographic restrictions that you have with regard to the sale of your goods.

We ship for free to any country in the world, no restrictions. With a travel themed Jiu Jitsu brand, I don't think it would make sense to not treat every customer equal no matter where in the world they might find themselves. Needless to say, we make less - or even lose - money on a sale if we need to ship it to a South American rainforest or the middle of Russia, but our business is being built on a foundation of good karma, not profit, so that's where our focus is. If you're out there traveling and need our gear, we'd happily take a little hit in return of supporting your adventure.

Do you have any sponsored athletes? If so, do you have specific criteria for selecting such athletes?

We have no sponsored athletes, but we do have a bunch of sponsored travelers. The criteria are not really defined, but I guess you need to be on some sort of epic, ambitious adventure and spread a lot of good vibes in the academies you visit.


Where do you get the inspiration from in designing new gear for your brand?

Mostly from traveling to exotic places, I think.

What differentiates you and your brand from other BJJ brands?

Don't really know much about other brands, so I'm not sure.

What other brands are out there that you admire? And why?

Again, not really into the "scene" and don't buy/own a lot of gear, so I couldn't say.

Is your company direct sales only? Or do you have distributors?

A few small distributors, but haven't really explored that option  much yet, so we just sell from our own website.

Do or have you participated in tournament booths or sponsorships of tournaments?

No, since we do only 100% IBJJF illegal gear and our whole vibe is more about traveling than winning, I haven't really found that to be relevant. But might set up a booth at a competition one day if it's in a cool place to visit.

Any plans for future expansion?

No grand plans, just enjoying the ride.

Please tell us a little about yourself, where you grew up, your BJJ experience, home life, education, military service, etc. Anything that might help our members get to know you a little better.

Grew up in a suburb to Copenhagen, Denmark. Started training Taekwondo at age of six, did well in school but had too many ideas to keep studying after (Danish equivalent of) high school. Dodged military service so I could learn computer programming. Live in Copenhagen with my girlfriend and our two year old son, who we are planning to have set foot on all continents before he starts (formal) school.

I ran a martial arts academy since 2003 but recently sold my share in it. Have been focusing for a long time on breaking free of the monthly cycle of paycheck and bills. Through years of heavy downsizing, frugality, saving and investing, I am now at a point where I don't really need to worry about having a job. It's a nice feeling.

What hobbies do you enjoy?

Apart from my main interest of making ideas come to life, I enjoy reading, writing, surfing (just a few times a year when traveling though), longboarding, programming, cooking, not spending money, etc.

Do you have any pets?

This question is terrible timing, I have had a wonderful cat for 16 years but he is getting euthanized tomorrow. I'm gonna miss him.

Where did you grow up and attend school (University/College)?

Grew up and went to school in and around Copenhagen, Denmark.

Tell us a little about your background in martial arts/grappling.

Started Taekwondo at six, tried Jeet Kune Do around 17 which was some sort of Kung Fu that eventually evolved into some sort of MMA, then into actual MMA. The grappling aspect was always my favorite and I think that most people - like me - get tired of getting punched in the face every day, so Jiu Jitsu is a way to keep training at a competitive level without the headaches.



Quick Fire

These questions are designed to allow for short, one or two word answers. Oftentimes just yes or no, and from a personal perspective.

Rash Guard – Short or long sleeve?

Short. My guns are swole.

Preferred gi colorway?

Gray

Rash under your gi?

No

Spats under your gi?

No!

Gi Pants – Rip Stop, Cotton Twill/Drill Cotton, or Cotton/Poly Blend?

No preference

Gi jacket weave?

Ripstop / pearl weave

First gi you owned?

I think it was an old Judo gi. I decorated it with some nice patches from cutting out t-shirts with cats and bungee jumping.

Favorite submission?

Anything that looks cool

Last stamp on your passport?

El Salvador, I think? Travel in Europe all the time but get no stamps for it. Such a disappointment.

Beer or wine?

Both

Tea or coffee?

None

Do you wash your belt or not?

WASH!


Regular knot or superlock knot in belt?

Not even sure what those are, I haven't changed my knot since the one I learned when I started Taekwondo in 1988.

Isle or window seat?

Window

And finally…what social media do you participate in and what are those addresses?

Facebook (Christian Graugart) and Instagram (@bjjglobetrotters and @graugart)


Links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrazilianJiuJitsuGlobetrotters

Website: http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/

Instagram: https://instagram.com/bjjglobetrotters

Instagram: https://instagram.com/graugart



As a component to BJJ New Gear's questionnaire that nearly 200 of you completed for BJJ Globetrotters, many of you took the opportunity to ask questions of Christian. Well, as promised here are most of those questions and his answers. Enjoy.

Oh, by the way...we've taken out duplicate questions and any that were inappropriate.

Any advice on finding a gym when traveling.

Use the BJJ Globetrotters community, it is build for the same :) Tons of affiliated academies and members around the world who welcomes travelers, just check our website

www.BJJglobetrotters.com. Our Facebook group is also very active in helping people find places to train on the road: https://www.facebook.com/groups/757904750904200/

Any camp in Asia someday?

Don't know :)

Any plan to come to Sweden?

Yes, I'm teaching a seminar in Östersund next month.

Any thoughts on a female line of gear? Sometimes it is hard to get a perfect fit with universal.

Maybe down the road, but with all the sizes and colors we would need to stock, it is primarily a question of not having enough physical room for it at the moment

Are you a bjj fighter?

Not sure haha :D

Are your trips BJJ on beach overseas family friendly or do they tend to be for adults?

Our camps are primarily for adults. The big ones in Europe, we have a few teens participating but that's about it.

Can i please come stay with you Christian and train the time? i will sleep on the mats. Anything for jiu jitsu!

Anytime, just come by :) Not possible to sleep on the mats though, since our academy is in a public sports center that closes at night. Visitors always train for free at my place.

Can I run away from home to travel with you?

Sure, just shoot me an email ;)

Do they have any black Sunset gi in A3?

Sold out and we won't make any more unfortunately.

Do you feel jiu-jitsu is getting softer as it becomes more sport and less about the fight?

I don't know and I don't care, I just roll :)

Do you feel that the steep prices in IBJJF tournaments should be reduced for competitors and fees removed for schools so the students can accurately represent their academies?

IBJJF is a privately owned business so I don't think they can be demanded by the public to change anything. It's supply and demand. If people pay for it, they will keep doing it. So if you don't like it, you should support other competitions instead. Or maybe even start your own :)

Do you have a store front anywhere?

No

Do you have any advice for a small group Bjj club just starting out?

Keep an open mind, train with as many different people as possible, travel, compete and focus on expanding your community. As for building a business (or anything, really), I personally base it on two things only: Treat every single person walking through the door as a potential new best friend and always try to give people 10% more than they expect.

Do you have plans on adding more products to your shop?

Not really, but maybe I come up with something cool, who knows

Do you sponsor mma/bjj fighters and how can I be part of it?

No, we only sponsor travelers.

Favorite choke?

Anything that makes the opponent tap

Favorite gym of all time to train at?

Not really a gym, but I love to train at our Beach Camp in El Salvador. Most beautiful matspace I know.

Favorite jiu jitsu item? Specific Rash guard? Maybe shirt? Tape?

Not really :)

Favorite pre-comp meal what is it?

Food. I hate cutting weight.

Gi or no Gi?

Both

Had an amazing time at the summer-camp in leuven.. even if i know the answer... did you christian ? ;-)

It was the worst week of my life hahaha ;)

Have you gotten much grief from the BJJ "establishment?"

No, actually not :)

Hints for big guys?

CRUUUUUUSH

How about adding a high quality back pack to the lineup?

I've considered it, but I think there is too much research and work in making it a quality I could accept. Also, they would take up a ton of space that I don't have and I'm not sure my mum wants any more stuff in her garage.

How can I travel more to train, not just to big locations like São Paulo but domestically in the U.S. and also Europe?

www.BJJglobetrotters.com and https://www.facebook.com/groups/757904750904200/ is your new best friend

How can someone globetrott if they are the bread winner in a family of 6?

They chose a different path of life and it's a long way to change it at that point, I can imagine. It's about priorities.

How do you pick the spots for the seminars, and is Hawaii on the list?

I spend a lot of time doing research and visiting places. Hawaii is in my notes but I'm pretty sure it will be logistically too difficult.

How do you plan on bettering the bjj community as a whole?

I don't really plan that. But I guess that building and expanding the BJJ Globetrotters idea and vibe, will hopefully infuse a bit of good karma to the BJJ community as a whole. It's my little addition to BJJ and if it can make just one person a bit happier, then it's all worth it.


How does your company plan to expand the world of Jiu Jitsu?

No plans really.

How to contact members in another country?

Just find the members list on www.BJJglobetrotters.com and shoot us a message requesting contact details :)


How would you suggest someone can learn and keep their edge for bjj if they struggle to find people to train with?

I guess they would have to put their primary focus on finding people to train with.


I'd like to know more about the non-gear aspects of becoming involved with BJJ Globetrotter and their travel/jits programs.

That was a pretty broad questions that I'm not sure exactly how to answer. Did you check out our website www.BJJglobetrotters.com? :)


Keenan Cornelius or Travis Stephens - in a submission only Match who wins?

I have zero clue, don't really follow Jiu Jitsu.

What country have you been to that you recommend any BJJ player make sure they go to?

Can't answer that, it completely depends on what you want to do with your Jiu Jitsu. Some train to be the best in the world, some use it to travel, some use it to socialize / get in shape etc. So your dream destination is completely depending on that.

What do you consider when sponsoring athletes?

We sponsor travelers who are on epic adventures and spread good vibes. Those are the main criterias.

What do you enjoy most about what you do?

All of it.

What gave you the inspiration to call it "globetrotters?" how does that relate to fake basketball games?

It kind of spun off from a round the world BJJ trip I did in 2011 where I wrote a blog called "BJJ globetrotter"

What hair product does Christian recommend?

Great question! Moroccanoil curl cream is the magic stuff

What information would you give a person wanting to travel and roll?

Buy a plane ticket, pack your gi, go.

What is coming next on your marketing plan? New stuff? Book/Gis?

Not sure, I just kind of go with the flow and see what comes up

What is the worst experience a member has had training while away? We don't need a gym name!

Haven't really heard of anything actually

What is your secret new product in development? If you have one...

It's a secret

What motivates you to keep going?

I train, travel and make new friends all the time. Don't really need more motivation than that :)

What started you off in BJJ?

1999 with Chris Haueter's VHS tapes

What was, for you, the most rewarding part of starting the Globetrotters?

To build something that can make a lot of people smile.

What would you recommend for a lightweight travel gi? Not too flashy.

We have a white, basic model that should do the trick

What's the quality of the gi?

Not sure exactly what you would want me to answer here :D

When are you coming back to Pennsylvania or the east coast I know I just missed the US camp?

Plan on doing the New Hampshire camp again next summer, working on the dates and details now.


When are you coming to a London bjj school?

Eventually, I guess. Have many friends over there, so sooner or later I'll probably show up :)

When are you going to come visit Paul Sharp and I at our gym near Chicago?

I love Paul! Would love to come over.

When are you going to do a bjj camp in Poland?! :)

Not sure, do you have mats for 200 people? :)

When are you going to do a camp in the UK?!?

Might be sooner than you think...

When did you decide to start traveling and why no affiliation what was the motivation to do this?

When we started BJJ here, there were no one to teach us, so it just became a natural thing to travel. Also pretty quickly became obvious that affiliation is nothing but a business relationship which is not necessary at all in order to learn a sport or have a network in it.

When is team FAL getting back together again?

hahaha

When is the first BJJ Globetrotter's full moon all night trance open mat happening ?

Every full moon, did you miss it?!?!

When is the next world tour, Christian?

I'm kind of master planning it for my life, but I'm not in a hurry really. I want my son to be a bit older before we leave, so he can get most out of it.

When is your next rash guard drop?

Soon!

When you doing your next camp?

Three camps coming up in December, January and February. Check www.BJJglobetrotters.com/camps

When will you be bring Globetrotter training and luggage bags out?

Same question again! Now I might have to make it :D

Where did you get your inspiration for your dope sunset gi?

Not sure, just kind of came up with it

Where is the one place you've been that the bjj community surprised you the most?

Planet earth

Why can't anyone make a decent bjj gear bag like they have for triathlon?

Ok, this is it... I'm off to the drawing board.

Why did you decide to start your own team? I know it's to avoid politics, but that always happens anyways. What are you going to do to make the politics of jiu jitsu non-existent?

You answered it, politics will always happen as it is human nature. I never really decided to start my own team and I don't consider Globetrotters to be a team. It's just a community of people who agree on a certain view on things.

Why did you pick a VW bus on your patch?

There were zero arguments against it, that bus is dope.

Why don't you make gear for the larger players? All I see are gis sized A5 and lower, why don't you make gis A6+?

Because there is not much of a market for it. Send me an email and I'll make you a custom size gi.

Why is shipping so expensive to Ireland compared to UK?

Is it? We have free shipping to everywhere in the world.

Will there be any collaborations with other brands?

No plans, but who knows :)

Will there ever be a long-term (months) camp?

I don't think so

Will there ever be a UK camp?

That question again! :D


Will you be having a bjj camp close to Arizona anytime soon, my girlfriend and I would love to do a bjj camp with the BJJ Globetrotters?

Don't think so, but you can always jump on a plane and come anyways :)

Will you make a hemp gi at some point?

No :)

Will you make a seminar or camp over South America?

If the right opportunity presents it self :)

Will you sponsor me please ?

Are you traveling the world right now?

Would you consider doing a camp in the UK?

.... ;)



Socializer Widget By Blogger Yard
SOCIALIZE IT →
FOLLOW US →
SHARE IT →

1 comments:

Contact

Name

Email *

Message *